Sunday, February 6, 2011

REVIEW: Starry Eyed Inside by Rochelle Allison

Summary from ff.net: “High School Fictional. No one sends Bella into a tailspin quite like Edward Cullen... but can she make make him hers? The ups and downs and all arounds.”

Do you remember your first crush? That cute boy or girl who had you French kissing your hand for practice? Set in sunny Florida, Starry Eyed Inside by Rochelle Allison brings back those nostalgic feelings of first love. Bella, 14, falls for Edward at first sight.
 I … saw his face and that was it.
Squashed like a bug on the highway of love.
Just seeing him made my mouth go dry… my heart pound… my stomach clamp up.
Edward is a grade older. He drives. He’s gorgeous, “Sometimes he was just… in his own world, beautifully – and terribly –untouchable, my very own Jake Ryan or Jordan Catalano.” Bella thinks he’ll never notice her. She’s wrong. He attempts to fix her up with his friend Jake. Urgh! Also, it seems there’s always a girl hanging on Edward while Bella watches on wistfully. Fortunately, it’s not long before Edward catches on that Bella has a crush on him and he makes his move.
His lips were so soft and warm, and he tasted good, sweet and smoky. His tongue filled my mouth and I tightened up deep inside, my body wanting him in ways my brain wasn't even aware of just yet.
I love this Bella. She’s sweet and innocent without being immature or naïve. As told in first person, BPOV, we are privy to her dreamy thoughts. I assure you, Starry Eyed Inside is the perfect title for this story. I appreciate how Ms. Allison captures the shyness of being an underclassman tossed into the world of partying with the older crowd, you know, the cool juniors and seniors. I remember those times in my life.

Being a Twi-fanfic, the usual characters are present, however, Ms. Allison has given the characters her own twist, and it's an enjoyable change of pace. Alice, for example, is Maria Alice Pena. She has an older brother, Eleazar. She isn’t the pixie shopaholic characterized so often in fanfiction. Instead of being the talker, Alice is the listener. Bella states in chapter 1, “I'd talk and she'd listen.” Rose is Bella’s other close friend and is a “spoiled brat” as well as being the “prettiest girl I knew.” Early in the story the canon pairings begin to form as Rose takes notice of Edward’s older brother Emmett. Jessica and Lauren round out Bella’s girlfriends, but they aren’t major players.
I love Ms. Allison’s use of minor characters and how a simple sentence can describe their essence. For example, Eric Yorkie, who is “…both dorky and cool, the kind of kid who was on honor society but also knew how to fashion pot paraphernalia out of produce.” And Jake, he’s not the bad guy, he’s one of Edward’s best friends and has, “…an amazingly sharp, witty sense of humor.”
The story is angsty but not overwhelmingly so. The scene a few days after Bella and Edward’s first kiss is so well written. Poor Bella is certain that she was just another one in a long line of girls he kisses while drunk at a party. She also witnesses firsthand the jealousy of a catty bitch. It’s a month before they kiss again.
Edward is a mysterious character in the beginning. He is quiet and guarded with his feelings. Bella never quite knows where she stands with him. Then, just as their relationship heats up and she’s totally enamored with him, his partying ways catch up to him, threatening their relationship.

The plot spans a few year's time and I love how Bella matures over the course of this story. It is wonderful to see her blossom and develop confidence in herself, and especially how she conducts herself in terms of her relationships with others.

Currently at 24 chapters, Starry Eyed Inside is a must read for all the romantics in the fandom.

1 comments:

TwiloveSue said...

MM - I think your new blog is awesome! I'm a total fic hoor and you, my dear, are going to make my addition even worse (thank you). XOXO

Post a Comment